If you have been looking for the best lawn mower on the market, you may have realised that there are a good number of them available on the market. If you are finding it hard to decide which lawn mower is the best for you, we have researched different models of McGregor lawnmowers. We have also worked out many things that we think you might want to know before buying a lawnmower: key features, pros and cons for each model.
McGregor is a garden tools brand owned by Argos. McGregor is not the company that manufactures lawnmowers. Argos gives McGregor the power to sell the products using their brand name while the manufacturing process is outsourced. McGregor specialises in lawnmowers; however, the brand also includes other gardening tools such as trimmers, chainsaws, and hedge trimmers.
These lawn mowers come with a two-year manufacturer warranty, which indicates that the manufacturer is very confident with the lawnmowers processed.
McGregor lawnmower overview
Although McGregor outsources their mowers, they have an excellent design and quality. They are created with a decent amount of plastic material, just like most current lawnmowers. Despite being designed using plastic, they are relatively durable and come with a high-quality metallic blade. One of many things that makes McGregor unique is the power their mowers tend to have. They usually opt for higher wattage motors than you would find in most mowers in the same categories. They are therefore ideal for working on lawns that have dense grass. You will rarely find a Mcgregor lawn mower that is underpowered. Also, their prices are fair with regard to the services they offer.
How to choose the best lawn mower for you
There is no doubt that a well maintained, green lawn changes everything on your property’s outlook. To ensure your lawn stays in good condition, you need to use appropriate tools. It is always good to invest in a good lawnmower as you will always get what you pay to make your garden maintenance work efficient and worthwhile. Before you buy a lawnmower, below are some factors to consider before taking one home:
1. Yard size and terrain
A regular lawnmower weighs around 90 to 100 pounds. If you have a large lawn to work on, pushing a 90-pound lawn mower will make you exhausted after working on a small section. The best type of lawnmower for large yards is a self-propelled or a riding one. These two types get the job done in a relatively shorter amount of time. McGregor has lawn mowers of these kinds.
For a smaller yard, a push lawn mower will be an ideal choice for you. If the terrain of your yard is bumpy, a self-propelled lawn mower will be a better option. So, before you buy a lawnmower, observe your yard first.
Saving some cash on any product is everyone’s wish. When it comes to buying a lawnmower, investing more into it can significantly save you in future. The higher the price, the better the features and quality a lawnmower has.
A long-lasting machine saves you a lot of cash. Such a lawnmower comes at premium prices as you will not need frequent repairs and replacements. Another thing to consider here is whether the spare parts for the lawnmower you want to buy are readily available. If you can not find them easily, you should opt for a machine that you will effortlessly get its spare parts to replace when needed. This will help keep your machine running comfortably and efficiently.
When you are buying a lawnmower, you need to understand that you will be using it more frequently to keep your lawn in good condition. For this reason, you need to ensure that you get a lawnmower that is comfortable for you every time you are using it. If you are buying a mower that requires you to walk behind it, ensure that its height is adjustable to suit you. If you opt for a riding mower, ensure its seat is comfortable and firm enough for you to operate everything with ease.
4. Convenience and Versatility
If you like to bag the grass, check if you can easily remove and fix the mower’s bag before purchasing any lawnmower. Different lawn mowers have different options: mulching and bagging, and you can choose a mower with either option or both options. You can also choose to go for a mower that mulch and bags simultaneously. If you require exclusive mulching, you can go for a mower with a composite deck that does not allow grass build-up on the underside.
5. The Dealer’s Take
It is also good to know what the dealer says about the product. Lawnmower dealers tend to have more knowledge about different models from various brands than most of the reviewers. For instance, your dealer will tell you about the mower that has readily available parts as well as some of the most durable products on the market. Most lawn dealers have been in this industry for quite some time, and they will tell you which lawn mower will suit your needs, such as budget, height, comfortability, and the size of your lawn.
Types of lawn mowers
There are three common types of lawnmower. They are:
1. Cylinder mowers
These mowers have cylindrical blades that rotate vertically at the front part of the mower while working. They function by cutting your lawn grass against a fixed blade at the bottom of the mowers. The good thing about them is, they offer an excellent, close-cut finish while relying on an ideal level lawn for perfect results. However, they do not work well on longer grass and bumpier lawns.
2. Rotary mowers
A rotary mower has a single blade that rotates horizontally below the mower. It is ideal for cutting bumpier lawns and longer grasses, although they are not constant at delivering a clean-short cut like their counterparts Cylinder mowers. Besides, they are a better option for most people.
3. Hover mowers
Hover mowers are also equipped with rotary blades, but they function by forming an air cushion between the lawn and the mower. They can manoeuvre right and left as well as forwards and backwards making unique shapes on your lawn. They are perfect for bumpy and hilly lawns.
Petrol, electric, cordless or push: which is best?
1. Manual or push mowers
They are a good option if you have a small, flat lawn. It will be perfect for you as you will only need to push it for a few minutes to get your job done. If your lawn is sloppy and has long grass, do not think of getting a manual mower.
2. Electric mowers
They get their electric power from the mains and are ideal for small to medium lawns, yet you can use a huge extension cable if you want to use it on larger yards. So, it is good to check the length of the mower’s cable you want to buy. For safety purposes, do not just use any cable, and if necessary, the cable must have a high amperage rate as lawnmowers can consume 1.5kW of power when in full flow.
3. Cordless mowers
Cordless lawn mowers are getting cheaper and more popular. They offer you a similar experience as an electric one but without the need for a cable. They are ideal for working in areas that are far away from an electric connection. Cordless mowers match the cutting power of electric mowers, but their run time heavily depends on battery life. In most cases, cordless battery life goes up to one and a half hours, and you will need to recharge the battery before you can work with the mower again.
4. Petrol mowers
They are ideal for huge lawns. Also, they surpass their rivals when it comes to the consistency and quality of cutting. In addition, they do well on longer and overgrown gardens. Remember, they command significant premiums. Moreover, petrol lawnmowers require regular servicing: one year.
Our best Mcgregor lawn mowers
The McGregor 34cm lawnmower falls under the rotary category of lawnmowers. It delivers quality finish on small to medium lawns. It has a 1400 W motor and a quality steel blade powered by Torque Drive for more power to cut through thick yards effortlessly. The tool is very flexible in cutting height as you can adjust it into six different cutting heights. The weight is 11.4 kg.
The following are the main features of McGregor 34cm Corded Rotary Lawnmower 36V:
- It has a 1400 W electric motor.
- The blade is made of carbon steel.
- It has six adjustable cutting heights.
- You can easily adjust the handle.
- A 10m electric cable
- It also has a safety switch.
- The grass bag is 35 L capacity.
It has a pocket-friendly price compared to other lawn mower products in the same category.
- It is an environmentally friendly option.
- The lawnmower does not have height limits.
- It is ideal for anyone with a smaller lawn.
- It’s not ideal for larger yards.
- The capacity of the grass collector is small.
The McGregor 37cm is a rotary mower created to provide a professional cut on small to medium lawns. It has a powerful 1600W motor with a Torque Drive that offers you more power to cut through thick grass effortlessly.
The tool is equipped with six cutting heights, a real roller, and in-line wheels to assist you in achieving a professional and precise striped finish on the edges of your lawn. It also has a mulching feature that makes grass cuttings shredded into fine pieces enough to compost easily into your lawn’s soil without creating grass thatch or damaging your grass.
Below are what this lawn mower is made of:
A 1600W electric rotary motor.
- The cutting blade is made of steel which has a width of 37cm.
- It has six cutting heights, ranging from two to seven centimetres.
- The capacity of the grass collector is 40 litres.
- It includes a mulch function.
- Height adjustable handle.
- It comes with a 10m power cable.
- Equipped with a safety switch.
- A Rear roller.
- The McGregor 37cm has a compact design with a collapsible grass handle and folding handles, making storage of this tool much more manageable.
- It has an indicator for alerting you when the bag is full.
- The soft power handle enhances the grip and comfort while using the tool.
- The 1600W motor helps you to cut the grass effortlessly.
- You must work within the limits of a 10m power cable.
- To operate with this mower, you need a constant power supply.
- It is not suitable for larger yards.
McGregor 32cm Cordless Lawnmower includes a 21.6V Lithium-ion battery with 4.0Ah. It has five adjustable cutting heights with a sole lever and a real roller that delivers a striped finish to your yard. The mower is equipped with a grass box indicator that alerts you when it fills up. Also, it has a handy power indicator that shows you when the battery needs to be recharged.
The components of McGregor 32cm Cordless Lawnmower are:
- It is a battery-powered lawnmower.
- The material used to design it is plastic.
- It comes in green or black.
- It has a cord-free design.
- The blade is designed using carbon steel.
- The capacity of the grass collector is 30L.
- A real roller.
- A safety switch.
- The battery takes only one hour to recharge.
- Its cordless design allows it to operate anywhere without the need for a constant electricity supply.
- The tool has five adjustable heights that allow you to work with the height that suits you.
- It is equipped with indicators: One alerts you when the grass bag collector is full, while another one tells you when the battery needs recharging.
- You can fold the upper handle for comfort.
- While storing the mower, you can easily fold the handles for convenience purposes.
- The battery life limits the time you can work with the mower.
- It may not be suitable for more extensive lawns.
- You might need additional batteries, which adds to the operational costs.
The McGregor 32cm is an excellent rotary lawnmower designed to deliver a professional cut and does well on small to medium-sized yards. It has a 1200W motor and a carbon steel blade powered by Torque Drive to offer more power to help you effortlessly cut through dense grass.
The tool has five cutting heights that allow you to adjust to the height that suits you. Also, this mower is equipped with a built-in real roller that delivers a clean, striped finish to your lawn. You can easily fold the mower’s handles and collapse the grass box for easier storage. When the grass box is full, there is an indicator that will alert you.
The following are the main features of McGregor MER1232 32cm Corded Rotary Lawnmower:
- The rotary motor is 1200W.
- The product blade is made using steel.
- It has five cutting heights.
- The capacity of the grass collector is 30 litres.
- It has a real roller.
- Also equipped with a safety switch.
- It has a 10 m power cable.
- Its weight is 9.47 kg.
- It has an indicator that notifies you when the grass bag is full.
- It includes a super-powerful 1200W motor.
- The built-in real roller delivers a stripped finish.
- A safety switch enhances the security of the mower.
- It does not perform well on damp grass.
- Sometimes it fails to deliver a tidy cut.
The McGregor 40cm is quite a powerful rotary lawnmower created to offer a clean finish over relatively more extensive lawns with tough, dense overgrown grass. The mower gives you six cutting heights to suit your lawn’s needs. The machine has a real roller for a professional striped finish that ensures your lawn achieves that finish. It is equipped with a mulching feature that ensures the grass is cut into small pieces that compost easily into the soil, preventing grass damage and grass thatch formation. The grass bag has 42 litres, which is quite larger than other Mcgregor lawnmower models.
The following are the components of this mower:
- It has a powerful 1900W electric rotary mower.
- A metal blade.
- A mulch function.
- It is designed with six cutting heights.
- The grass bag capacity is 42 litres.
- A 10m power cable.
- A real roller.
- The powerful motor allows you to cut dense and tough grass.
- It is suitable for large areas.
- The large grass bag collector allows you to make several trips before it fills up.
- You will operate within a limit of 10 m electric cable.
- The tool allows you to work in an area that has a constant electricity supply.
- The rear roller could be heavier.
- Slightly expensive.
Our honest Mcgregor lawn mower review
Generally, all models of McGregor lawn mower are excellent in offering a professional finish. McGregor lawn mower is not the most expensive brand on the market. Their products are relatively cheap compared to other products in the same category. All models cut well, are mostly lightweight and are fairly durable. Also, some models have a mulch function that cuts the grass into small pieces enough to compost into your lawn’s soil.
McGregor should include some advanced features in their mowers to match some of the premium upmarket models. That said, McGregor mowers are worth your money if you are a gardener looking for a great mower.
We encourage you to read reviews if you want to get more information concerning McGregor lawnmowers. Different users have different opinions: some leave positive reviews while some leave critical ones. Both positive and critical reviews will help you make an informed decision while choosing the best McGregor lawnmower.