There’s nothing nicer in the morning than waking up in the morning, going to your kitchen, making a coffee and just hearing the birds sing in your garden. There is a wide range of birds in the UK and your bird feeder is doing its part in helping keep the bird population in the area strong.
You might, however, notice from time to time that your bird feeder is getting low on seeds regularly. If you observe your bird feeder for long enough what you might find is that pesky little squirrels are getting their hands on the feed. Squirrels are greedy & cunning, they will find a way to get to your bird feeder ahead of any of the birds and they’ll take far more than their fair share.
It’s actually a very very common problem, in fact, I’ve written a very similar post on 5 ways to keep squirrels from getting to your bird feeders previously. In the article, I touch on squirrel proof bird feeders, but it’s a significant topic in itself, hence this post.
The problem is so significant that there are hundreds of different squirrel proof bird feeders out there on the market, with various types & designs. It can be tricky to determine which one is going to be best for you, which is what this post will help you with.
This is a considerably large article, so if you have a specific question or simply want the view the top product choices, you can do so by clicking the specific section below:
- Types of squirrel proof bird feeders
- Best selling squirrel proof bird feeders
- Top 10 best squirrel feeders
- What else can I do to keep the squirrels away?
As I touched on earlier in the post, there are a lot of different squirrel proof bird feeders to pick from & it can be hard to determine which is best. I’ve picked out 10 of my personal favourites based on the research, but they’re always new and more popular models coming to the market, so below you can find the current best selling squirrel proof bird feeders.
- Each Feeder Measures 36cm x 18cm x 18cm approx
- Large attractive metal feeders designed to keep the squirrels out
- Made from powder coated steel
- Features a large hook for hanging over branches or from bird feeder hooks
- Set of 3 Feeders
- 𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐌𝐈𝐔𝐌 𝐁𝐈𝐑𝐃 𝐒𝐄𝐄𝐃...
- 𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐖𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐔𝐏𝐏𝐎𝐑𝐓:...
- 𝐁𝐈𝐑𝐃 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐃𝐄𝐑𝐒: Garden Decor squirrel-proof...
- 𝐏𝐑𝐀𝐂𝐓𝐈𝐂𝐀𝐋 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐄𝐀𝐒𝐘 𝐓𝐎...
- 𝐒𝐈𝐙𝐄 𝐃𝐈𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍: The size of this...
- [ No More Wasted Seed ] Our bird feeder is the ultimate fortress against...
- [ Pays For Itself In Saved Seed ] Squirrels can no longer steal your bird...
- [ Smart Innovative & Adaptable Design ] Specially designed for offering...
- [ Lifetime Care ] Keep your Squirrel Buster bird seed feeder like new. For...
- [ Stop Squirrels For Good ] It's 100% squirrel proof - or your money back!...
Here’s the section of the post you’ve been waiting for, my top 10 best squirrel proof bird feeders. I’ve done a lot of research, read hundreds of reviews & pulled together this list for you to ensure that you get a bird feeder that squirrels can’t get to.
Without further ado, here are my top 10 best squirrel proof bird feeders:
Small seeds & birds feeder
This Jacobi bird feeder is confident that it will keep the squirrels away, clearly stating on the product it feeds birds, not squirrels and covering that with a 100% guarantee & you can see by the reviews it seems to do the trick.
They guarantee their bird feeder is 100% effective and that it’s humane, economical and suitable for every garden. They also provide a lifetime guarantee with the product meaning if it’s ever damaged by other predators or namingly squirrels, they will replace it.
Birds can easily feed on this feeder, but squirrels weight pushes down the metal which blocks access to the feeding ports instantly. It features a weight adjustable mechanism as well, so if you get larger birds you can choose to feed them or not. You need to make sure that you allow for 18inches of clearance surrounding the feeder so that the squirrel has to jump on it and the ports are closed shut.
Interested in buying this cost effective bird feeder? It’s gone down well in regards to reviews and feedback, but just to give you an overview, here are it’s main features:
- Keeps pests from stealing bird seeds thanks to a locking weight mechanism
- Smart & innovative design
- Specially designed for smaller bird seed
- Comes with a range of style, feed types and sizes
- Suitable for every kind of garden
Caged bird feeder for small seeds & small to medium-sized birds
This product by Nature Market is a bird feeder encompassed by a large cage. The bars around the cage are wide enough to let through small to medium-sized birds, but squirrels shouldn’t be able to fit through easily.
There are several positive reviews for the product, and many people also mention that it keeps out larger birds like crows. The feeder in the middle is suitable for seed.
Despite the mostly positive reviews, there are a few people that claim that squirrels have got to this cage, so you should always try and ensure that you keep it with enough clearance from areas that squirrels may be able to jump from.
If you are wanting to buy this bird feeder cage you might want to know a little bit more about it. I’ve pulled out some of the top highlighted features for you below:
- Large cage covers the bird feeder – squirrels shouldn’t be able to get between the bars
- Discounts apply the more that you buy
- The product is weatherproof, easy to clean, durable and very easy to assemble
- Suitable for bird seeds
- Product dimensions are 15x15x23cm
- Suitable for small to medium-sized birds, but larger birds may struggle
Caged seed feeder for most seed types
I won’t lie to you, one of the main reasons that this bird feeder has made the list is because personally I think it looks fantastic with its decorative leaf design. It’s made an produced by a brand called Peckish Secret Garden & is a caged bird feeder that is squirrel proof, although as the bars do look quite far apart from one another I would hang this at a safe distance from squirrel jumps.
It features a screw-top lid and quick release of the inner tube, so filling it up shouldn’t take long at all. The feeder is suitable for the majority of seeds and mixes, it will hold around 470g each fill.
It’s a highly rated product with great reviews & at the time of writing this it is an Amazon Choice, so it must be a good buy!
Interested in finding out more about some of the main features? I don’t blame you for skim reading, here are a few of the main points:
- Decorative leaf design
- Squirrel proof surround cage
- Screw top lid & quick release inner tube for easy refills
- You can use a variety of different seeds and seed mixes – it’s suitable for a lot of seeds to attract various different birds
- The inner tube will hold around 470g of birdseed, so shouldn’t run out quickly
Wall-mounted clear acrylic bird feeder
Now, this product isn’t strictly speaking squirrel proof, however, they do state on it, it can be made squirrel proof by mounting it high & away from jump points which due to the design should be fairly straight forward.
I’ve featured this in the list because it’s different to your normal bird feeder. It has a 100% clear acrylic design with 4 powerful suction cups so you can fit it to any window. The great part about this is you can put it on your kitchen window and watch the birds eating the seed up close, literally right in front of you!
It has drainage holes which are mould free, it’s durable and built for all weathers. It’s the perfect bird feeder for those that love bird watching. As well as that it includes an easy to use the removable tray for easy refills, it’s easy to clean, and included a top birdhouse cover to stop the rain or snow.
Want to find out more about this unique acrylic bird feeder by the brand Awaken? Here are a few of the main features:
- Highly transparent design
- Fits right on your window so you can see the birds up close
- Easy to use, refill and clean
- Padded grip for the birds to rest on, which means they are likely to stick around for longer
- It’s a large but durable and lightweight design, the suction cups are more than powerful enough to keep it on your window
- Drainage holes to prevent mould
3x Caged squirrel proof bird feeders for all seed types
Grab yourself a 3 for 1 bargain with these squirrel proof bird feeders. These hanging bird feeders are all seed proof but the difference between them is the type of feed that they hold, there’s one for seeds, one for nuts and one for fat balls, so you can attract all different kinds of birds to your garden.
As you can see by these bird feeders they are encompassed by a squirrel-proof cage, which is wide enough to let small birds in but not wide enough for squirrels to get through. This high-quality design features a powder coat metal meaning it can withstand all weathers for a longer period of time.
This product is great if you require more than one feeder, is offered at a fantastic price and has great reviews to go with it.
What are the main features of these 3x squirrel proof bird feeding cages? We’ve listed them for you below:
- Each bird feeder is suitable for different feed – seeds, nuts and fat balls
- Hanging bird cages
- Powder coated metal so it can withstand the elements
- They have clip down lids to ensure the feed is kept dry
- Designed to deter squirrels
Squirrel-proof bird feeder for peanuts
Do you like that shabby chic look? Then this bird feeder is for you. It’s a very popular design in any shabby chic themed garden with it’s wonderful classic looking off white finish giving it an antique feel.
It’s a great bird feeder in regards to keeping squirrels out as the design features a cage surround which the squirrels shouldn’t be able to fit through. The inner tube is easy to fill and remove for cleaning and is most suited to peanuts, however there are options for seeds or fat balls if required.
Interested in this unique looking bird feeder? I don’t blame you, it’s great! Here are some of it’s main features
- Suitable for peanuts
- Antique “shabby chic” design
- Off white finish
- Easy to remove and clean inner tube
- Caged design to keep the squirrels away but allow small birds
Caged squirrel proof bird feeder for Peanuts (fat ball option)
This is a budget bird feeder that is squirrel proof, but it’s by no means poor quality. It’s a fantastic caged bird seed feeder that is perfectly durable and able to withstand those persistent squirrels with its durable rustproof metal construction.
It states on the product that it is suitable for attracting a wide range of different birds, perfect for those bird-watching fanatics. It has an easy to open top so you can take out the inner tube, fill it or clean it, without any hassle.
It works by hanging off of something, preferably a tree and the dimensions of the product are as follows:
If you’re interested in this budget bird feeder option, and are just reading quickly through, here are some of the main features:
- Durable metal cage to withstand squirrel attacks
- Keeps squirrels out with its outer cage
- Easy to clean and fill inner tube, just unscrew the top
- W14.5cm x D15.5cm x H24cm
- Attracts a wide range of difference birds
Squirrels are smart, it can be really hard to deter them, you might find that even buying a squirrel proof cage might not quite do the trick. There are some other tips and tricks you can employ, however, to try and ensure those pesky squirrels don’t get their hands on the food your setting out for the lovely birds.
Here are a few of them:
- Squirrel proof the pole: If you’re mounting the feed on a pole there are a few tactics you can employ to stop the squirrel getting it. You can mount a squirrel baffle (such as this one by garden mile®), you can wrap a slinky around it or even buy a squirrel spinner.
- Hang far from jumping areas: Squirrels can jump far, really far, but if you suspend the bird feeder far enough from an area they can climb and jump from, they won’t be able to get it.
- Use seeds they dislike: There are bird seeds you can buy that squirrels hate, they might try it the first time, but they won’t come back after that. They hate safflower, nyjer & white proso millet seeds & any seed that contains Capsaicin.
- Feed the squirrels separately: Buy a separate feeder for the squirrels with things they prefer to birdseed. It might not always stop them, but it should prevent them from constantly going for the birdseed.
There might be some more methods, so I would be extremely grateful if you commented them below so I can include them in my post!
Still got some lasting questions? I’ve pulled together some of the most common questions I could find on the subject based on various questions asked on the products when I was researching. Here are the most common ones I came across and their answers:
Squirrels are still getting into my squirrel proof bird feeder, what can I do?
We touched on this in the post, but there are a couple of things you can do such as using feed they don’t like, hanging the feeder in a smart place away from where they can jump & if you have a pole you could use a squirrel baffle.
Does vaseline keep squirrels away?
Although it isn’t perhaps the best solution you can cover the feeding pole and even feeder in vaseline so the squirrels find it hard to grip.
What kind of bird seeds will squirrels not eat?
They don’t eat Nyjer, Safflower or White Proso Millet seeds. You can also get seeds that contain Capsaicin which is a spice that squirrels dislike, but birds are fine with.
What do squirrels hate most?
Squirrels are actually frightened of cats, dogs & owls so you can actually buy plastic realistic cut-outs of these animals and place them around your garden, which can be known to keep squirrels out of your garden completely. Either that or buy yourself a real dog!