Autumn is knocking on the door, and soon, leaves will fall. It feels nice when those dry leaves come under your shoes and make that satisfying crunch. The gentle and slightly cold breeze feels like a silky sheet caressing your face. As much as all of this feels nice, the wind combined with rain can fill up the drainage system and clog up your gutter. Don’t get me wrong. I love rain; rain is fun, but not its after-effects. The dirt, twigs, and leaves are a total nuisance and block gutters quite often.
Outdoor maintenance of your home is not just time-consuming, but it can be messy, and if you try to hire a professional, it can be expensive too. Clearing up your gutter is an essential task that no one looks forward to. However, some methods can make your job easier and less time-consuming. By installing gutter leaf guards, you can make that job much easier and faster.
Leaf guards catch fallen leaves in the gutter and save it from clogging up. Leaf guards will save you a headache, especially if you have trees surrounding your home. Most leaf guards are also easy to install and don’t cost much either.
If you haven’t heard about gutter leaf guards before, you might be curious about some of their features and which one may be ideal for you. There are numerous kinds of gutter leaf guards. All of them function differently but have the same purpose. You may prefer one over the other depending upon your needs. Let us discuss some of the things you need to know about the various types of gutter leaf guards.
- Gutter Brush: They are very cost-effective, and you can install them very quickly. This design is also known as the bottle brush design. It looks like a brush with a lot of bristles stuffed in a gutter. The wind sweeps away the lightweight forms of debris when they fall on top of the brush. So, it won’t require much maintenance. These guards have a universal size, so you won’t find it hard to fit them in your drainage system. One thing about these guards is that you will have to manually clean them since there is no outlet for the debris collecting.
- Foam Gutter Guards: These gutter guards are literally foam with pores in it. Hence, they allow the water to pass through and block debris from passing. The foam also discourages fungi and mold from growing in the pipes. But they sometimes soak most of the drainage water and need to be cleaned for debris.
- Mesh Gutter Guard: They are the most common types of gutter guards. They fit nicely under the roof, and the rust-resistant mesh does an excellent job of keeping leaves and debris away from the drainage pipes. The fine mesh size also keeps smaller debris particles from entering into the pipes.
- Plastic Gutter Guards They look like metal screens but are made of good quality plastic. You can trim them to fit your drainage pipes. Some come with clips so that they don’t dislodge in storms and windy conditions. Since they are plastic, they won’t rust, but they are still not as durable as metal guards. You would still need to check them occasionally for maintenance.
- Reverse Curve: This type of gutter guard uses the slope to prevent debris and leaves from collecting in the drain. Debris flows down through side slots. People also call them surface tension guards since they let the water flow over them.
- Non-Gutter Covers: They are also known as louvered gutter guards. They are usually made of aluminium, and they allow water to flow through them with high efficiency. The look like window blinds and deflect the flow of water. They are also aesthetically pleasing to look at.
Below, we have listed and reviewed some of the best gutter leaf guards we found.
It is effortless to install and will not require you to clean it very regularly. It lasts for a long time since it is coated with a protective layer of zinc.
- Will block leaves very well
- Very easy to install
- Won’t stop debris and smaller particles from entering into the drain
- Will need occasional maintenance over time
It won’t corrode or rust over time due to its plastic material, and it will definitely last for a while. You can easily install it all by yourself. This product is also Amazon’s choice from the gutter mesh category in the UK. In brief, customers love how easy it is to install and how well it works for leaves.
- Ideal for leaves and large particles
- Very durable
- Rust resistant
- Simple to install
- Won’t attach to roof shingles
- Can’t stop small particles and debris
It doesn’t require much work in installation. You simply have to put it over the gutter, and it will do its job. It is also stainless steel and rust-resistant. This guard will unquestionably serve you for a long time. Users love this gutter guard for living up to its advertised claims.
- Works well for blocking leaves and debris
- Rust resistant
- Good-looking gutter guard
- Very easy to install
- Doesn’t stop small particles from entering into the drain
- Requires maintenance occasionally
It is rust-resistant and can endure high temperatures. You can also customize it for your use; you can also cut or trim it for fitting where ever you want it to. Furthermore, it has many possible applications. You can even use it for rodent control, windows, and door screens. It freely allows water to pass and will block everything else. Accordingly, your gutter will never be blocked.
Users like this mesh guard for its ease of use and rust resistance.
- Rust resistant
- Easy to use
- Works very well for small and large debris particles and leaves
- Can endure high temperatures
- Will require occasional maintenance
- A bit expensive compared to others
This guard is easy to install and will not fall off the gutter as you can secure it with the provided clips. You can also cut it to fit your drainage system. The size of this guard is 5m X 160 mm (L X W).
- Very robust
- Easy to install
- Comes with fitting clips to ensure secure installation
- Works very well for leaves
- Ensures good water flow and a clean gutter
- Cannot filter out finer debris
- May require occasional maintenance
It is relatively easy to install and use, and it is only available in black. You may have to inspect it for maintenance occasionally.
- Fits all UK standard gutters
- Resistant to rusting
- Very effective against leaves
- Quite easy to install
- Requires maintenance occasionally
- May not stop smaller particles from entering the drainage system
It operates very efficiently and filters out most leaves, debris, and other particles and also protects your gutter from clogging up. This gutter guard is made of high-quality stainless steel, which is rust-free. Therefore, it offers incredible quality in comparison to much of the competition. It will stand firm against extreme weather conditions and serve you for a long time. One pack contains six gutter guards, which is very generous at the price it comes in.
- Very durable and reliable
- Very effective against leaves
- Affordable price
- You can adjust it to fit downpipes of different sizes
- Will stay strong in extreme temperatures
- May not catch smaller debris particles
- Will need occasional maintenance
It has a raised vented ridge design, which encourages airflow downwards. This also prevents mosquitoes and other pests from living in the gutter pipes. It is available in black and white. This aluminum gutter guard will not rust. The optional black baked enamel will help melt snow quickly so that it doesn’t collect on the drain tops. It is not hard to install and comes with a magnetic nut setter and screws. It is made in the USA.
- Effectively removes debris and leaves from the gutter
- Installation is relatively easy, and the magnetic nut setter and screws make the process easier
- Smart design discourages mosquitoes from dwelling in the pipes
- Comes in black and white
- Might be expensive for some
- Some maintenance will still be required
Gutter guards against falling leaves are handy accessories. It can be very annoying to clean the drainage pipes of your gutter regularly. If you don’t take care, the blocked gutter will cause many problems. All of the listed gutter leaf guards are good. But if we had to choose, it would be these three:
Our pick for the top gutter leaf guard is the LeafTek Gutter Leaf Guard. It is very sturdy, durable, and effective. You will altogether forget what clogged gutters are after installing this.
Our second pick is G4GADGET Gutter Leaf Guard. Its design is standard, but it is still very effective against leaves. You can also adjust it for your drainage system. Moreover, installation is a breeze. It will still require some maintenance and is not very effective against smaller debris particles, which is why it is our second pick.
Best Value for Money
If you are looking for something affordable that is also good at keeping leaves at bay from your drainage pipes, then GroundMaster Gutter Guard Brush is a good choice. It is undoubtedly very inexpensive and effective and is available in 10 sizes.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are gutter leaf guards?
Gutter guards attach to your gutters and keep the unwanted leaves, pine needles, flower petals, and seed pods from entering your drain. Hence, these products allow water to flow and keep unwanted debris from clogging the gutter. There are many types of gutter guards on the market, but most of them have the same mesh-like design. They protect your gutter and also keep it clean and working for a long time. You will not have to clean the gutter as much as before.
How do gutter leaf guards work?
The design of a gutter guard primarily ensures that it blocks unwanted leaves and twigs from entering the gutter and allows the rainwater to flow. It also prevents your gutter from clogging up and overflowing. When the gutters are blocked, the water collects and flows back into the home; this can undeniably cause many problems. Clogged gutters may damage your house by rusting, erosion, rotting, and mildew. Gutter guards won’t eliminate the need for gutter maintenance, but they will certainly help.
Should you get leaf gutter guards?
If you have gutters installed in the place where you live, you would soon come to know that there is no such thing as a maintenance-free gutter. You will have to clean them regularly, especially if it rains a lot in your area. Good quality gutter guards keep your gutter flowing freely. As a result, they save you a lot of time, energy, work, money, and unnecessary headache.
Do gutter leaf guards really work?
As we said, there are different types of gutter guards. It depends upon the type of the gutter guard, how well it prevents small debris from entering the gutter, and how well it manages the heavy flow of water. Gutters can’t keep all the debris away. Sometimes in heavy storms, they can even become dislodged and fall apart. You also need to be careful while installing them. They won’t work if not installed correctly. But still, some perform better than others. But all of them serve the primary job of preventing large objects from blocking the downspout in normal conditions.
What is the ideal mesh size for a gutter leaf guard?
A mesh size that is too small will obstruct water flow. Too big a mesh size will allow debris to pass through. A mesh size of 6-7 mm is appropriate.
How often do gutter leaf guards require maintenance?
Chocked and blocked gutter guards might cause dripping, which is why it is essential to check them for maintenance. Inspecting the gutter guard system quarterly is best. Cleaning the system twice a year is also likely to keep it flowing freely. It really depends upon the area you are living in.
How to clean gutter leaf guards?
One of the ways to do this is via drones. There are also cleaning robots that people use for this purpose. The auto-cleaning systems are a bit costly, but they are also beneficial in the long run.
Do gutter leaf guards cause problems?
Cheap guards that are made of plastic and allow debris to enter the drainage pipes are not ideal. Hence, they may not work correctly and will eventually cause the pipes to clog up. Clogged pipes may overflow and cause dripping. Dripping can cause mould and rust.
Gutter guards are a must-have if you want to save yourself from spending money in the long run. Clogged gutters are not just gross, but they can also cause damage to your home. In this article, we have reviewed some of the best gutter leaf guards available in the UK. All of them are good options and very effective. We hope you find what you’re looking for.