Are you in the market for a new shower head? Well, before jumping in and buying any old cheap shower head, think about how often you use that shower (let’s hope every day!). A good shower experience makes all the difference, it’s either a great start to your day or a relaxing end to one. You want to ensure that your shower experience is exactly how you like it, and some prefer a relaxing shower, others prefer a pressure shower and a lot of this can be enhanced by the shower head itself. Believe it or not, a good shower head may even save you money on your water bills.
Finding the best shower heads available is no easy task, you need to figure out which kind of shower you like & which shower head matches that, whilst also being a quality choice of course. For something that is seemingly so simple, finding the best shower head really isn’t, there’s a lot of research that you need to do, but don’t worry, we’ve done all that for you, answering some of your research questions, providing you with our top picks & showing you some of the recent bestsellers, so you don’t have to waste hours trying to find the right one.
So don’t worry, this article is your one-stop shop to finding the best shower heads available on the online market in the UK.
Table of Contents
This is a rather long article and may take you a good 10-15 minutes to get through, so we’ve written a table of contents for you, so you can easily navigate to the section that best answers your query.
- What are the different types of shower heads?
- What are the best shower heads?
- Do shower heads fit all showers?
- What is the best shower head for high pressure?
- How do I choose the right shower head?
- Do I need a plumber to replace a shower head?
- Our top 10 best shower heads (UK)
- Bonus: Current best selling shower heads
The first thing that you need to think about when looking into shower heads is understanding the different types available to you. Different types of shower heads have different feels, so it’s important to pick the right one to suit your preference.
Here are the different types & an explanation of what it means:
- Adjustable & Detachable Shower Heads: These shower heads you can twist to change the water preferences, allowing for more pressure or a larger coverage area.
- Water Saving Shower Heads: You may have seen some of these before, but there are a lot of models that claim to use the water efficiently and can mean savings in your water bills.
- Rain Shower Heads: You might have seen these before & there often thought as luxurious, commonly found in high-end hotels. These are usually large shower heads, they have very little pressure and the best way of describing it is that the water flows slowly out.
- High-Pressure Shower Heads: This is pretty self-explanatory, but if you like a shower with a bit of pressure behind it, you’ll need to choose a power shower head. In order to get the desired result, you will also need a pretty strong water pressure in general, which is usually dictated by the boiler.
- Double Shower Heads:
- Waterfall Shower Heads: You may have seen taps that do this, but there are shower heads too. Basically, it’s a large open-ended shower head, so the water doesn’t flow through small holes like normal and simply… falls out, like a waterfall.
- Filtered Shower Heads: These shower heads filter the water as it’s passing through, allowing cleaner water to come through the shower head. They’re not that common in the UK because our water quality is generally good, but if this is a concern, you might be interested in this shower head.
That’s what we’re all here for! It’s very hard to pick a single shower head because everyone has a personal preference. In our list, I have tried to pick out showerheads suitable for a variety of preferences, however, our top choice is one that I feel ticks the most boxes is:
Yes, most likely. The majority of shower heads have the same fitting and will fit your shower 99% of the time. There are occasionally some shower heads that just fix on top without being screwed in, but these aren’t particularly common.
There are several shower heads on the market which can improve your water pressure and mean that you have a much higher pressured shower, so it can be hard to pick which one is the best. After scouring through a lot of shower heads, we’ve come across our top choice for the best shower head for high pressure:
Shower heads are based on preference, and you might not have tried them all, so it can be tricky to know which is your ideal option. If you’re really not sure, then your best and safest bet is to go for an adjustable shower head that has a few different options, because there will be a higher chance of getting one you’re happy with.
There are a couple of deciding factors that you should consider when looking into what shower head you should buy, simply ask yourself:
- Do I want a powerful shower? If the answer is yes, then you’ll want to go for one with high pressure, if no, you want to go for either an adjustable one or rain style.
- Do you have a preference on how the water is distributed? Do you think you’ll favour a more traditional style? Or will you want to go for something perhaps a bit different like a waterfall, which doesn’t go through the standard small holes you see on a shower head.
- Is it just about you, or do you have a family? Again, if you have a family and everyone has a different shower head preference, you should go for an adjustable one with a few different “modes” so they can change it as they wish.
- Is it easy to clean? Some shower heads are a lot easier to clean than others, so look at the head itself and determine whether it’s going to be easier. If the head is smooth, it may be a lot easier to clean than one that has protruding sections for the water to come out of.
- Do you care about the appearance? Well, all shower heads look different of course & some might not fit your bathroom aesthetic.
- What’s your budget? This is another one you have to consider, shower heads can range in price from a few pounds to nearly £100 and even more in some circumstances, depending on what you’re looking for.
You shouldn’t require a plumber in order to change the shower head in your bathroom, they are fairly straight forward to change & the difficulty level can be described as beginner. Here is a step by step guide on how you can replace your current shower head (screw on):
- Lay down a towel
- Grab the current shower head & unscrew it from the flexible shower hose
- Make sure the washers are in place on your new shower head
- Screw the shower head onto the shower hose
- Start the water & see if there are any leaks
- If there are leaks then this is likely because the washers aren’t properly in place
It’s very similar to fit a fixed shower head as well, you will just be working with a shower “arm” rather than a flexible hose, if a leak occurs you can use some Teflon tape to wrap around the head and tighten.
The bit that you’ve been waiting for, my top 10 best shower head picks available on the UK market. I’ve done all the research and picked shower heads that are suitable for a wide range of preferences. These aren’t in a particular order as such, as I know that everyone has a different shower preference.
Without further ado, here are my top picks:
High-Pressure Water-Saving – 3 Settings
This shower head ticks a lot of boxes, which is why we’ve put it to the top of our list. It’s a 3 in one showerhead so great for those who don’t know what kind of shower head they are looking for or have multiple people using the shower who have different preferences. The three settings are rainfall, massage & jet.
This shower head also claims to increase your standard water pressure by 200% due to its micro pin sheen head, yet it also saves 20% water making it a great eco-friendly choice. It’s made of stainless steel and has Bioactive mineral stones within the casing.
It’s universally fitting & easy to do yourself – and at a great price if I do say so myself. The filtering system that’s built-in also reduces any chlorine.
Interested in buying this product, here are some of the main features that you can expect:
- Increases water pressure by 200% with it’s advanced technology
- Also has water-saving technology which can save around 20%
- Filtration built in to remove any chlorine and release negative ions which is good for your skin
- Easy installation, so you don’t require a plumber, simply plug and play universal fitting
- 3 Settings – Rainfall, Massage & Jet
Multi-functional Handhel Shower
As you can see this Aisoso shower head is higher priced than some of the others in the list, but you can tell why with its quality and functionality. It offers a 3 setting head that offers a Power Rain, Pulsating Massage and Rain Massage meaning there is a setting for everyone.
It’s a high-pressure shower head with what they refer to as 2XP turbocharging which essentially means that it’s better for water conservation and it can also turn a household with low water pressure to a higher pressure if required.
The head itself is made of ABS plastic, which is a high strength material. It also comes with a flexible stainless steel hose that is made to prevent any kinks as well as having solid brass joints for durability.
The silicone rubber jet nozzles also mean that they are self-cleaning, and if they ever do get a bit dirty it’s extremely easy to wipe away any build-up, you can simply wipe it with your finger, no need to any deep chemical cleans.
If you want to buy this product, we’ve pulled out some of the main features for you below:
- 3 Settings which offer Rain Massage, Pulsating Massage and Power Rain
- High pressure with “turbocharging” which conserves water but can turn lower pressure into high
- Made of ABS durable and resistant plastic
- Completely self cleaning
- Takes minutes to install, no need for a plumber, it comes with an installation manual as well
Handheld High-Pressure Rain
This again is at a higher price point, but it’s more than worth it with the quality and attention spent in the design.
It’s a hotel quality shower head made of solid metal, far superior to most plastic models. The manufacturer has rigorously tested this shower head to ensure it delivers the highest quality shower.
What you get is a sold metal handheld shower head wand with a sold brass wall mount, which comes with a long 72-inch steel shower hose. The flow rate runs at 2.5 gallons per minute, which is the industry maximum. It only offers a single function which is wide coverage of rain shower spray. It can rotate 360 degrees with its brass pivot adjustable ball.
The manufacturers are confident in this product and offer a 90-day money-back guarantee and a year warranty. No plastic parts, ensuring there is no cracks and it lasts the test of time.
We’ve pulled out some of the main features of this product for you just to quickly look at:
- Made solely of metal – superior quality
- Industry maximum 2.5 gallons per minute flow rate
- Hotel quality shower head
- Wide coverage rain shower spray – only a single function
- 1 Year warranty
- 90-Day money back guarantee
This Voolan shower head can turn your low water flow and pressure into a nice powerful rain shower. It offers an 8-inch ultra-thin round shower head which will cover you completely. It’s got a modern and beautiful design which is made of solid stainless steel. It comes with 90 jets which helps with providing a fantastic flow of water.
This shower head offers a variety of different features, with its anti-blocking nozzles which means that you can clean it with literally the touch of your fingers. It’s also very easy to tilt into your direction for your personal preference. It’s considered a luxury shower head and will feel like an outside downpour, but warm of course! It’s also surprisingly high pressure.
We’ve highlighted below some of the main features of this Voola 8″ shower head:
- It’s a rainfall shower which offers a high water flow
- Made of stainless steel, so there’s no leakage like cheaper plastic models
- The nozzle is self-cleaning, if anything builds up you can just wipe it away with your fingers
- It’s very easy to install & comes with a mini wrench to help
- When you buy the product it comes with the shower head, mini wrench, extra filters and a user manual
- The manufacturer guarantees satisfaction with its lifetime warranty
Multi-functional double headed shower
This shower head is a pricier, but unique and quality option, made by Haoxin. It’s one of their new designs, featuring two separate shower heads that are made of high-quality materials, it offers a slightly different shower experience than you may have had before.
It offers 5 different functions so is suitable for all kinds of shower preferences, so could be a great choice if the shower is used by multiple people. Part of the reason for the price is the construction which is made of brass and engineering-grade ABS. It’s also very easy to clean both the shower heads as there built to prevent limescale build-up.
This set of shower heads provide a rainfall spa experience that is relaxing, and considered a luxury, although it’s generally suited for a retro style bathroom design.
These double shower heads have a lot of features and functions, so we’ve highlighted some of them below:
- New and unique design that features two shower head
- 5 functions that cater to a variety of shower types
- Made of high quality material like brass & ABS
- Oil rubbed bronze finish
- Rainfall spa experience
- Retro style
Universal Rainfall Shower
This shower head by GROHE gives an instantly luxurious feel to your bathroom. It comes with three distinctive spray zones to fulfill a variety of different shower preferences. It’s SmartRain Spray technology ensures for a completely relaxing shower experience and a full-body coverage. It’s an impressive 260mm spray head but surprisingly slimline design so it’s suitable for most bathrooms.
The functions available are Jet spray, SmartRain spray & Rain spray. It comes with a mount meaning that it is easy to fit. It’s also very easy to clean with the silicone “SpeedClean” nozzles which you can simply wipe down.
This beautiful looking shower head by GROHE has some great features which we’ve highlighted for you below:
- Rainfall shower which has 3 settings, Jet Spray, SmartRain & Rain Spray
- It comes with a 5-year warranty
- recommended that you have at least 1 bar minimum pressure
- 260mm spray head
- Easy to clean with “SpeedClean” nozzles
- Comes with a mount
Handheld High-Pressure Multifuctional & Water Saving Shower
Although this shower head looks relatively basic, for the price, we can assure you that it is anything but! It offers superior performance with its new power massage spray, allowing for a greatly massaging shower which leaves you feeling extremely relaxed, whilst also massively reducing water consumption in comparison to other models. It’s suitable for every showering preference with it’s 7, yes 7, different combinations and settings as well as great functions like a pause button and water-saving mode.
It’s got an anti-leak design and is made from durable ABS as well as a brushed nickel finish. It’s easy to move around thanks to the adjustable ball joints and extra-long 80-inch stainless steel hose. It’s handheld as well, so it’s easy to pull off the mount & use to rinse your hair if needed.
What about those 7 settings though, what are they?
- Power spray
- Power massage
- Outer spray
- Power spray + massage
- Water saving trickle
- Trickle pause switch
- Inter spray
Interested in buying this model of shower head? Here are some of the main features we’ve highlighted for you:
- Industry max of 2.5 gallons per minute water flow
- Premium quality and 7 settings!
- Easily adjustable angle bracket
- Pause and water saving modes
- Brushed nickel finish
- Anti-leak design
Massage Handheld High Pressure – Multi Settings
Straight into a mid-priced model, the Briout handheld shower. It’s anti-clog and anti-leak design, with high-quality construction and contemporary styling, makes it stand out from the crowd. It offers a solid and quality performance meaning you can have a truly relaxing shower, much like a luxury spa.
This showerhead comes with the choice of 5 different functions which include Power Mist, Pulsating Massage, Rain Massage, Power Rain & Rain Mist. A combined 66 nozzles with 47 being TPE and 19 ABS are used not only to provide a great experience but to prevent the build-up of grime and dirt allowing for easy maintenance.
It also comes with a 5-foot flexible stainless steel hose, a flow restriction for water-saving which is removable and an adjustable brass swivel ball joint so you can adjust it to the angle you prefer.
Interested in this Briout massage spa shower? Here are some of the main features to convince you:
- Very easy to install
- Multifunction design – 5 different settings
- Made of high quality materials such as ABS & chrome plated surfaces
- Cleaning is easy thanks to the great design
- Easily adjustable swivel breacket to have it angeled to your preference
- Comes with a removable flow restrictor for water saving options
Trends are forever changing, and new technology and advancements are continually coming out in the world of shower heads, so below you will find some of the current bestsellers, to offer you an alternative option to our list, should you not find anything you like.
- 【3 LEVEL POWERFUL FLOW】There are 3 levels, rainfall, jetting and...
- 【WATER PURIFY BEADS FILTER】The infrared mineral beads and negative...
- 【WATER SAVING AND PRESSURE BOOSTING】This water saving shower head is...
- 【DETACHABLE AND LEAKING PREVENT】Our powerful flow spray shower head...
- 【WHAT YOU GET】1 x Shower head, 2 x replaceable stone
- High-Grade Powerful Shower Head: Our shower head is made of high-quality...
- Features 5 Spray Modes: There are 5 spray modes available in this handheld...
- Durable & Universal: The chrome-plated shower head fits universally into...
- Easy to Clean: The massage shower head with silicone nozzles is a wonderful...
- Versatile Use: Our luxurious shower head is lightweight and durable making...
- 【Modern & German Craftsmanship High Quality Design】 The 2023 new...
- 【With 3 filter, make water more soften and purify】 Equipped with 3...
- 【4 Water Spray Patterns, Enjoy Your Versatile Showering Experience】...
- 【Upgrated high pressure shower head】 The high flow shower head is...
- 【Built-in pressure Spray Mode, cleaning corner quickly】 The built-in...